Wednesday, January 22, 2020

YOUR GREATEST CALLING

I love the story of Joseph and his brothers! The Coat of Many Colors, the interpretation of dreams, “what you meant for evil, God meant for good”. . . I could go on. All of it is the kind of romantic stuff that novels are based on. But of all those amazing tales, the one that is my favorite, is the exchange between Judah and Joseph when Judah is faced with the possibility of returning to his father without his youngest brother Benjamin. The passage is found in Genesis 44:18-34. As Judah makes his case to Joseph that he cannot return without his brother; because it would simply be more than his father Israel could take, he makes this statement in verse 34: “For how shall I go up to my father, and the lad be not with me? That statement has been burned in my memory for years.

Why so impactful you might say? Well, Bible Scholars agree that Joseph is a type of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. When I look at this passage from that perspective, I see myself (and each one of us for that matter) overwhelmed with the possibility of facing our Heavenly Father without the knowledge that our brother, children or other family members or friends are returning with us.

The account of Judah’s discussion with Joseph reminds me of the story of NBA great Pete Maravich. Pete came to Christ late in life, but during that time he was able to lead his father Press to Christ. In recognition of what that experience meant to his father; on his deathbed, Press spoke these words to his son Pete: “I want to tell you, be there. On resurrection morning, be there. I will be looking for you then. Nothing else matters. Be there.” Turns out Pete would follow his father to glory only a few short years later, dying from the complications of an enlarged heart, but his Dad was there with him.

Do you have a brother that you are not sure will join you with the Heavenly Father one day? Are you a parent tasked with the responsibility of introducing your children to Jesus? Whatever your station in life, no matter your situation YOUR GREATEST CALLING is to ensure your children, family and friends will “be there”. Let’s pray together that God will use each of us to that end!

No comments:

My Blog List

Search This Blog