Friday, January 10, 2020

THE URGENCY OF PRAYER

How important is it for us to pray? On my blog banner I quote James 5:16 “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” Does it really? Elijah prayed that it wouldn’t rain and his request was honored for three years! But how much of that was Elijah’s prayer and how much of that was God’s sovereignty? Is there a passage in the Bible that provides some insight into the relationship between our prayer life and God’s will? My favorite scripture on this topic is from Genesis chapter 20. Remember the story? Abimelech had taken Abraham’s wife Sarah intending to marry her because he thought she was Abraham’s sister. God appears to Abimelech in a dream; and in doing so, gives us a glimpse into the relationship between believer’s prayer and God’s answers to prayer. God said to Abimelech:

“And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her. Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.”  Genesis 20:6-7

The point is that God knew Abraham would pray for Abimelech to live, but would not act and allow him to live until that occurred. How do we know that? Listen to what verse 17 of chapter 20 says:

“So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.” Genesis 20:17

God knew Abraham would pray, but did not initiate His sovereign will, until Abraham prayed.

What are you praying about? What have you given up praying about? Are you delaying answers to prayer because of your failure to pray? The Prophet Samuel said it is actually a sin for believers to not pray:

“God forbid that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you:” 1 Samuel 12:23

Is prayer important? Is there some urgency to pray for Christians? You decide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian, Thanks for these blogs as I thought I knew the bible my friend! Unfortunately I am mistaken, Thanks again for sharing my brother.

Praying MANtis said...

That’s very kind, but any of us can know the Bible if we dig in! I hope I have inspired you to do just that! God bless you!

My Blog List

Search This Blog