Monday, April 30, 2012

The "ABC"s of Prayer. "U" is for Undaunted

                        I love biographies about men of courage. One of my favorites is Undaunted Courage; the biography of Louis and Clark. Undaunted means a firmness in purpose or belief that is characterized by determination. The biography of Christopher Columbus is also another example of unshakeable resolution and faith. What causes men to demonstrate this type of courage ? Is it the anticipation of catching a glimpse of previously unseen territory that motivated the likes of Louis and Clark ? Could it be the determination that is generated by a confidence in the truth of God’s Word as in the case of Christopher Columbus ? (Isaiah 40:22 ) One thing’s for sure, these demonstrations of impervious resolve are inspiring!

                                I now have a new favorite biography of undaunted courage; that of my Step-Father, Leroy Lawrence. In the midst of battling cancer he has demonstrated an unshakeable faith that is nothing short of amazing. Similar to Louis and Clark, he has demonstrated an anticipation of catching a glimpse of a land he has never seen before. He has mentioned several times that he is looking forward to going “home”. And like Christopher Columbus, he has an assurance that can come only from his faith in the Word of God. I am reminded of the confidence with which Job delivered the words:  For I KNOW that my redeemer lives, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:” (Job 19:25) I am especially thankful today for men of undaunted courage who inspire the rest of us to do things previously thought unimaginable. After all isn’t that what Christ did for us ? He went undaunted, fearlessly to the cross to inspire us to do things previously unimaginable. Let our lives also be those of unshakeable resolve and faith; of fearless determination like Dad. . . and like our Savior.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Brian, this may be your best post yet! Been thinking about you and praying for God's grace, mercy and never ending Love to wrap you and your Family in peace and comfort.

Praying MANtis said...

We feel your prayers brother! God's grace is sufficient. "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:11-13.

My Blog List

Search This Blog