Sunday, October 23, 2011

Carpe Diem
                I continue to be amazed how God intertwines the lives of believers.  Iron sharpens Iron” is a truth from the book of Proverbs that it seems I gain more appreciation for with the passing of each day. One of my dear friends of over twenty years – Jeff Noel is a five a day blogger, motivational speaker and fitness expert. His mantra is “Carpe Diem”! This Latin phrase literally means “seize the day”. An aphorism that; through my connection with Jeff, has become an important theme for my own life as well.  Today I realize more intimately than ever how God has woven Jeff’s life into the fabric of my own because of a poem left to me by my Grandfather and Mentor Harry Brooker. “Happy Harry” as my grandfather was known, had a poem that was very dear to him that he sent me in a letter one day years ago. This poem was the mantra of his life. I believe that living out the words of this poem was ultimately the reason that Grandpa earned his nickname.
Use the Day
Any day's worth living 
If all the whole day  through 
Just one someone' happier 
Because of knowing you 
No day is ever wasted 
If there's a happy song
If even one heart somewhere
Because YOU came along 
Each day's an opportunity 
So seize it - every minute. 
      And make the world a better place 
                       Because it has you in it!                
                  Today I am officially changing the name of Grandpa’s poem to “Seize the Day” because it seems much more appropriate.  The word “use” can carry with it either a good or bad connotation. The word “seize”; on the other hand, means to take something with vigor and to place it in a location where it wasn’t originally. I believe that is what Grandpa felt this poem meant to him. To take a normal routine day and to transfer it “with vigor” into a different place . . . a good place. A place that can only be reached by the passionate effort of the individual involved. I know also, that is the meaning my friend Jeff Noel has in mind. And now because God has bound the lives of these two Godly men through the words of the phrase “Carpe Diem”, the mantra of Grandpa and Jeff is now echoed for eternity in the words of a poem!
    

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Seize the day as a battle cry, as a prayer, as hope, as a joyful obligation to repay the one who created us. But never as a worn out, automatic response to disguise going through the motions. And finally, seize the day as, above all things, a humble servant.

Praying MANtis said...

Neither you or Grand-Dad will ever be accused of going through the motions!

Search This Blog